The primary responsibility of this role, as Plant Support Chemist/Senior Plant Support Chemist, is to provide chemical support to the Sencor/FOE-Plant and eventually also to be able to provide back-up support to the Site I Active Ingredient Manufacturing operations. This individual will also improve existing chemical processes in order to achieve lower overall manufacturing cost. Finally, this individual will support in-sourcing activities pertinent to new intermediates or new AI’s for the Kansas City site.
The incumbent will:
• Provide process support data and analytical data in timely manner to plant personnel;
• Stay current on plant problems by maintaining close communication with plant personnel and also by supporting the monitoring of plant performance (i.e. product quality) through LIMS or other electronic tools;
• Participate in technical discussions and problem-solving meetings as needed;
• Evaluate plant samples and important samples from external raw material suppliers in a timely and accurate manner;
• Continually try to develop ideas for improving existing processes with respect to yield, quality or environmental (e.g. waste water) and safety parameters;
• Run chemical reactions in the lab that are designed to provide important process data needed by the plant or for the evaluation and implementation of new projects;
• Evaluate laboratory results, correlate data, draw conclusions and make recommendations;
• Set-up, maintain and troubleshoot GC-, HPLC- and other plant lab instruments. Ensure accuracy of results and reliability for production monitoring;
• Issue analytical methods as needed for production monitoring;
• Initiate patent disclosures and applications relevant to process improvements;
• Prepare written project reports for effective transfer of information;
• Ensure that work in the lab is performed in a safe, efficient and orderly manner, complying with all pertinent governmental regulations;
• Synthesize analytical standards as needed.
The selected candidate is required to possess the following:
• This position requires a Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry with 0-2 years of relevant experience;
• Strong analytical background and good mechanical skills;
• A good sense for practicability of technical processes is also required;
• The incumbent must have good communication skills and be a strong team player.
Salary and Grade Level will be commensurate with experience and/or education level.