Our client is an exciting growth oriented pre-IPO venture-backed company directly participating in the dynamic renewable energy sector. The company has strong financial backing; a proven leadership team; a strong patent portfolio and a product road-map to commercialization. The company is currently seeking a Senior Procurement Engineer.Job Summary:
Assist the engineering and supply chain teams with the selection and sourcing of components that ensuresa reduction in product cost, while maintaining or improving product quality, and manufacturability. Apply procurement engineering principles and techniques to accomplish goals.Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Analyze schematics, mechanical drawings, and component data sheets to identify areas of cost reduction through design modifications, component substitution or re-use, or alternative sourcing.
- Review all requests for new components to determine if the components selectedminimize costs, while still satisfying the existing design requirements, and maintaining product quality. Work with the engineering and operations team as needed to identify replacement components if this criteria is not met.
- Ensure sourcing strategies allow maximum cost reduction, while maintaining product quality and manufacturability.Identify vendors, and assist with the development and negotiation of contracts, and agreements.
- Establish and maintain specifications, records, and databases for custom and off-the-shelf components, and related sourcing.
- Track and resolve end-of-life and discontinuance issues on components.
- Participate in product design reviews, working with cross-functional teams to identify and source components.
- Execute tactical purchasing tasks as required to implement sourcing and component plans.
- May provide direction or act as a work lead to lower level engineers or buyers/ planners.
- Other duties as needed or assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical or industrial engineering;
- APICS certification preferred.
- Procurement engineering experience in an OEM manufacturing environment. Experience in a low volume, high mix, highly engineered products environment preferred.
- A broad technical background to work from or critique engineering drawings with respect to manufacturability. This would include determining the reasonableness of specified tolerances and materials and finishes.
- Working knowledge of the MRP/ERP/Purchasing system
- Analytical skills, to thoroughly understand the role of individual components in a complex engineering product design, and have the ability to identify new design approaches, and new component selection that reduce product cost while maintaining or improving product quality and manufacturability.
- Problem solving skills, to resolve complex component issues.
- Organizational skills and detail orientation, to maintain accurate records.
- Communication skills, to regularly provide updates to management, and to clearly and effectively communicate needs to vendors.
- Leadership skills to help lead and guide the organization in component selection and sourcing initiatives.
- Experience in component sourcing in Asia is highly desirable, although not required.