Posted 127 days ago in Telecommunications
Job Title: Ntwk Reli - Access /MPLS Specl
Location: Oahu; 1177 Bishop St
Reference #: 102167
This position is responsible for Tier II support of Hawaiian Telcom¿s IP access and MPLS based network. The Access / MPLS Network Specialist is expected to support various IP based products such as xDSL, IPVPN, VoIP, FTTP and IPTV. The Access / MPLS Specialist will lead and participate in a variety of projects to support network enhancements and operational deployment of new products and access methods. Work will be conducted in a team environment to support customer CARE, NOC, Field/Central Office Sales, Planning, Engineering and Development organizations. This job will also require oversight of alarm correlation, surveillance and reliability of various network elements. The Access / MPLS Specialist will be required to take a lead role in outage restoration, escalated trouble, network upgrades and vendor specific trouble tickets.
# Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Wt %
1 Provide Tier 2 support on trouble tickets requiring escalation to the vendor, detailed analysis or in depth trouble analysis.
- Respond to after hours call outs for network outages and escalated customer trouble on a 24x7 basis. 50%
2 Analyze outage/alarm reports, trouble history, and performance reports; recommend proactive measures to prevent/minimize repeat occurrences, and follow-through on recommendations.
- Develop troubleshooting, performance and alarming tools. Work with various support teams to develop preventive maintenance techniques/routines and lower restorable times.
- Conduct maintenance, back ups, patching and upgrading of network elements. 30%
3 Provide technical expertise and consultation on troubleshooting/provisioning processes, EMS, custom technical design/configuration and/or technical product development.
- Create/Enhance documentation including network diagrams, work instructions and process enhancements for support, provisioning & alarming of network elements and supported services
- Lead and/or participate on project teams to drive network transformation. 20%
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to other's views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives.
- Design - Generates solutions; translates concepts and information into images; uses feedback to modify designs; applies design principles; demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving.
- Oral Communications - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on-time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science; or three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Cisco CCNA or CCNP preferred.
B. Professional Work Experience:
- Must have at least three (3) years of direct work experience with any of the following:
- Alcatel 7x50 and/or 73x0 training/experience and/or certifications preferred
- Adtran TA5000/TA3000 training/experience preferred
- Transport (SONET, Ethernet, Frame Relay, ATM, and/or MPLS) training/experience preferred
- Access (FTTx, xDSL, and/or Metro-Ethernet) training/experience preferred
- Scripting and/or programming (Unix shell, TCL, Expect or Perl) skills preferred
- Specialist or Analyst level work experience in IP Services desired to reflect skills in troubleshooting and problem resolution
- Two (2) years experience in an analytical, report development, use of alarming tools and/or system maintenance desired.
- Working knowledge of various automated system functionality including but not limited to dispatching, trouble isolation & administration, provisioning, facility records, outside & inside plant records, customer records and billing.
- Experience in developing process improvement plans, execution of the plans and measuring results for desired outcome.
- Experience enforcing corporate policies.
C. Computer / Technical Skills:
- Microsoft Office Suite: working experience with the use of all applications from the Microsoft Office Suite to create reports, analyze data, and present information.
- Ability to learn new products and applications as required
- Working knowledge of various automated system functionality including but not limited to dispatching, manpower management, time & task reporting, trouble isolation & administration, provisioning, facility records, outside & inside plant records, customer records and billing
- Working knowledge of outside plant safety practices and procedures
- Working knowledge and experience with WAN/LAN switching, routing, transport, access networks, CPE networking and EMS applications required
D. Certificates and/or Licenses:
- Must possess a valid Hawaii State Driver's License.
- Able to qualify for D. O. D. security clearance.
- Daytime tour of duty; occasional scheduled night and weekend work.
- Subject to overtime and callout.
- Work may be performed in an enclosed area lacking windows
- Able to operate analytical test equipment such as data analyzers, etc.
- May require late hours and weekends to complete assignments and projects.
- Indoor work - exposed to indoor conditions, dust, noise, dirt, heat, various lighting conditions, etc.
- Ability to manage multiple functions and tasks in a very fast paced environment
- Flexibility to adjust quickly to many moving facets of the job.
- Ability to make quick situational assessments and react accordingly.
- Requires leveraging leadership and a variety of technical skills to work across internal groups as well as with vendors and industry partners to support service offerings and infrastructure capabilities.
- Requires alignment with the Company's F.A.S.T. Values
- Requires alertness and attention to detail
- Work may be performed a various locations under varying conditions.
- Requires standing, sitting, lifting/carrying supplies and training materials up to 40 lbs, and reading paper documentation and electronic communications.
- May require traveling to various locations and company branches and departments throughout the State of Hawaii in a timely manner so must possess a valid Hawaii State Driver's License.
- May require sitting and/or standing for long periods of time.
- May require identifying and distinguishing colors.
- May require working in confined and dark areas for long periods of time.
- May require identifying and distinguish audible tones/levels and colors.
- Required to meet multiple priorities and project due dates. May require late hours and weekends to complete assignments and projects.
Pay & Benefits
We offer excellent compensation and benefits for exceptional employees. Benefits include your choice of medical and dental plans for qualified employees and their dependents/domestic partners, including drug and vision. We offer Company paid life insurance and a 401(k) plan with pre-tax employee contributions with a Company match.