Our client is a well-funded clean energy company with technology destined to play a major role in meeting future energy demands.OVERVIEW
Reporting to the Vice President & General Manager, this position is responsible for the engineering and project management of sophisticated energy systems for the grid. The Vice President Engineering will develop and implement appropriate business, engineering and project management practices and lead the development of a world-class team of engineers. THE POSITION
- Develop and plan the general execution of large-scale projects.
- Responsible for the preparation of the project execution plan. Prepare and maintain project engineering budgets and schedules.
- Work closely with the supply chain and manufacturing team to ensure product is designed and engineered for scalability and manufacturability.
- Implement best practices and metrics to meet development milestones and deadlines while overseeing and managing all product certification processes, testing and quality control procedures.
- Pro-actively identify potential bottlenecks, develop alternative scenarios and focus on meeting project timelines.
- Communicate clearly and concisely the goals, targets and responsibilities of all constituents in engineering, services and development.
- Initiate, formulate and recommend appropriate systems and processes to enhance overall program management effectiveness.
- Lead the preparation and review of cost forecasts and other project control reviews with the appropriate project team members
- Play key role in technical partnerships including leading component co-development efforts as appropriate.
- Validate system at the component level while focusing on meeting the integrated system design objectives, including cost, reliability and performance over a long period of time.
- Ensure quality testing and safety are integral parts of engineering process and that product lifespan continues to be a key differentiator of the company's technology.
- Lead the design and implementation of engineering infrastructure necessary to scale the organization successfully. This will include, but will not be limited to: document control systems, software controls, drawing revision controls and appropriate vaults and protection technology.
- Create an engineering culture that values constant innovation, ensuring company technology is always ahead of the competition.
- Work with customers/partners as appropriate to ensure that design improvements around “ease of installation” are built into each product release.
- Collaborate proactively with other members of the executive and management team to ensure organizational readiness for product deployment.
- Build and retain the most effective and skilled engineering team consisting of mechanical, electrical and system engineering experts who have designed and delivered complex system level power infrastructure products.
- Plan, direct, and control the strategic direction of Engineering, establishing the scope of internal funding for projects, and establishing goals for key projects.
- Become a key member of the senior management team and a full participant in the ongoing development of the Company’s business plan.
- Review, summarize, and regularly update the product development plan and budget of the Company in concert with the development of the business plan.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for engineering with deep technical knowledge and exceptional leadership capability. The successful candidate will have a track record in the design, development and deployment of megawatt-scale power generation systems. A deep knowledge of thermodynamics as well as large scale mechanical systems is ideal. The ability to develop and mentor a high performance team of engineers and mobilizing the organization to ensure on-time system delivery within budget is key. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record that reflects the following:
- 15+ years of experience developing and deploying complex, electro-mechanical systems from concept through prototype, manufacturing and then to market. Must have designed and shipped commercially available products.
- 5+ years as an executive level manager.
- Significant record of personal accomplishment in technology development with infrastructure systems in the areas power generation or the process industries, with a background in implementing best practices and processes across new product development, sustaining engineering, DFM/manufacturing engineering, construction and services.
- Experienced in surveying the technology landscape and identifying complimentary technologies in materials, components and systems that will help lower BOM costs and drive production efficiencies.
- Strong technical orientation across multiple technological disciplines.
- Experience in quality companies known for excellence in engineering is required.
- Background managing teams in growth environments.
- Experience working with/designing large mechanical structures within the power generation field is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to establish technology strategies and manage an engineering process across multiple disciplines to meet hard deliverables.
- Education: B.S. required in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering from a premier engineering university and advanced degree preferred.