CNC Machinist for Machine Shop – North Brunswick, NJ – Temporary and Part Time (Job No. 2013-004)
Small, growing machine shop seeking part-time CNC Machinist to run lathe and/or milling machines during an evening shift.
This job is temporary, and the project is expected to last two to three months. This job is also part-time during the evening shift (25 hours per week, working from approximately 5:00 pm – 10:00 pm Monday through Friday). The candidate would have the following responsibilities:
- Independently operate and monitor machines (milling, horizontal milling and multi-task lathes) during operations with minimal to no supervision (Mazak equipment)
- Interpret drawings, specifications and/or sample parts to determine dimensions, tolerances, configuration of cuts, speeds and feeds, fixtures, tool holders, tooling, set-up, programming, sequence of operations, machine capabilities and other requirements
- Program (Mazak) CNC machines (including creating, proving and editing programs; creating macros as necessary)
- Create fixtures and set up machines
- Observe and listen to machine operations to detect malfunctions, including worn or damaged cutting tools, out-of-tolerance machining, etc.
- Adjust machines, controls, tooling and programming as necessary to ensure quality of production
- Measure and mark dimensions and reference points on material as a guide for subsequent machining
- Hold parts to close tolerances
- Load and unload parts; set offsets of tooling
- Inspect parts for conformance to specifications and quality
- Perform routine maintenance on machines as necessary
- Complete paperwork in accordance with shop processes
- Write set-up sheets, instructions and cutter lists to guide setup and operation of machine
- Manage multiple jobs simultaneously; prioritize work according to shop needs and efficient practices
- Analyze and resolve problems/issues
- Provide leadership, guidance and training to other shop employees
- A minimum of five years of experience operating CNC machines (milling, horizontal milling and multi-tasking lathes – Mazak machines a plus)
- A minimum of five years of experience programming CNC machines (milling, horizontal milling and multi-tasking lathes – Mazak machines a plus)
- Understanding of machining principles, metal properties, and speeds and feeds
- Ability to use precise measuring and inspection equipment to hold close tolerances
- Firm knowledge of tool holders, cutting tools, boring bars, fixtures, inserts and other machine accessories
- Experience with making fixtures and setting up machines
- Knowledge of tooling and cutting
- Ability to read blueprints and drawings
- Knowledge of mathematics principles
- Experience with finishing processes
- Experience working with high precision, close tolerance parts
- Experience with troubleshooting and resolving problems
- Adept at completing paperwork in accordance with shop processes
- Experience with writing set up and instruction sheets
- Adaptability to a dynamic work environment, competing demands and unexpected events
- Flexibility to shift priorities in accordance with changing deadlines as needed
- Proactive and solutions-oriented approach to address various issues as they arise
- Ability to be independent but also comfortable working within a team
- Creativity and a willingness to suggest new ways of working and improved systems
- Strong initiative and accountability
- Curiosity and always seeking continuous improvement
- Knowledge of CAD/CAM a plus
- Prior supervision, training or mentoring of shop employees a plus
- Experience with metal fabrication a plus
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Standing, sitting stooping and squatting can be expected along with lifting or with other means transfer of tooling parts, containers and raw materials. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, peripheral and depth perception as well as the ability to focus.
This shop is small but robust, and is a family environment. We are looking for someone who will take pride in his or her work, be proactive and willing to learn, and fit into our team on both a personal and professional level. Although this position is temporary, depending on upcoming projects, there is a possibility of the position being extended for a longer period of time and/or expanded into a full-time role (during the day).
The hourly rate for this position is competitive, and will depend on level of experience and skills of the candidate.
If interested, please include your resume, salary requirements and anything else you think we should know in the application. In addition, please also specify which job you are applying for.
Principals only. No third-party submissions or referrals. Recruiters, please do not apply to this job posting. All submissions and applications received are the property of the employer.